I always share my favorite recipes so here is my most recent home run. Fish Tacos with Avocado Sweet Corn Slaw by Iowa Girl Eats. I bought halibut (never cheap, but so delicious) and omitted the cabbage as I just don’t like it! But everything else, we LOVED. My kids gobbled it up and my husband said it was better that the fish tacos we always go out to eat for. High praise! She has the best recipes over there- search them and tell me if you find some you love! Haven’t ever made one we didn’t like. (after we all had seconds, I didn’t even use a corn tortilla, just made it into a salad and it was just as good).
We hung a porch swing this month. I hesitated for years as I wasn’t sure if it would just collect dust, or collect appointments to the plastic surgeon. So far, so good. I bought this Sunday Porch Swing at Ballard on major sale- which is good because unless you hang it yourself, you have that bill to pay too. I also bought rope instead of the chain and that wasn’t expensive at all, but added a lot more character to the swing. We have used it everyday since it was hung. Read the reviews if you are considering it!
I stumbled upon Original Sprout hair products for my daughter and have now spread the bottles into my boys showers, too. The deep conditioner is my favorite for Brooke as her fine hair gets so knotted – and it smells so good. It actually helps me know if my middle son washed his hair rather than just wetting it! Plus, People magazine featured Princess George’s favorite things and supposedly he even uses it- if it’s good enough for royalty…
Another note about hair, my sister had a wetbrush when we saw her in Chicago. I quickly bought one on amazon for the rest of our trip and then bought another for me at Target when we got home. If you need to brush hair that’s wet, this is the brush.
TuffTaag is now my top choice to have on our suitcases for travel. These things are indestructible and easy to spot. It was time to move away from furious scribbling on a flimsy temporary bag tag at the airport at curbside check-in!
Finally, an early bday present for me was an Optrix. Most of you know I am crazy for photography and I have wanted an underwater case to be able to photograph my kids with my phone. Optrix seemed to be the clear winner and it’s soooo easy to use. I bought the one with the 4 lenses and have found I use two mostly- and just love this extra point of view!
That’s all for August- my boys start school in the morning! Always love hearing from you all- let me know if you have any great summertime finds!
Usually when I tell the kids we are having chicken for dinner, it’s met with a serious groan. zero excitement. UNTIL… I watched a cooking segment on The Today Show for Airline Chicken. Simple, fast and fresh- make this chicken with basil butter! I don’t care for bone-in chicken, so I just make this on my stovetop with chicken cutlets. I also halve the butter. It still tastes wonderful! Easy summer dish-
It’s the fourth day of summer and we all wanted something sweet today. A welcome cake is my favorite cake to make with the kids as it’s fast and requires few ingredients- thought it was worth a repost! Try it- it’s delicious!
Storyfor2– My friend Stephanie owns this etsy site- she is one of those secretly very creative friends- love her wedding seating charts and child silhouettes!
Julie Song Ink– I marvel at her writing and prints!! I wish I could write that beautifully.
Precision Engraving– I just ordered 15 water bottles for my son’s soccer team with their last names engraved on them- they look amazing. Great quality.
Not on etsy- but a new find- The Animal Print Shop– love this sweet store and all their pictures!
What are your favorite etsy stores?
I asked some friends for what they are hoping for this year or what they plan on giving- here are some great ideas they sent me-
-This item made me laugh out loud, since this is SO me. The “I remembered my grocery bag!”
– I’ll probably send flowers to my momma:) not sure what I want this year, a spa day gift certificate is always great!
– One Kings Lane has good ideas. And I might get my mom ebags packing cubes for traveling. I love them, and my mom uses a bunch of plastics bags and it’s a mess :)
– One of the things I am getting my mom are these fun wine glasses. Great for the patio! I am getting a garden :) Last year I got a mountain bike- which I love.
– I love getting a punch card to mind stream yoga. I do a collage frame for my mom with pictures of the boys.
– Tory Burch has a really pretty fitbit bracelet – would totally get it if I wore a fitbit!!!!
And one of my favorite responses was-
What I Would Like for Mother’s Day…..
1. For no one to ask me a single question that starts with, “Where is…..” because that will require me to move.
2. Uninterrupted time watching Bravo.(refer to #1 while Bravo viewing is in progress)
3. Someone delivering a mimosa and some scones. (see #1 and #2 so you will know where to deliver the items and how to do it without disturbing the flow – Fredrik on Million Dollar Listing New York may be closing a deal and a high kick might be next.)
4. To not wash a single dish, article of clothing or body part.
5. To not have to ask, “Are you SURE you have everything?” before breaking the land/speed record to get to practice on time because the answer is no.
6. To have the alien that has invaded your body making you slower than I ever thought possible go back to its home planet for the day.
😊 actually…..here’s what would be really fun…..
I like going to Home Depot the Saturday before and picking out flowers to plant on Sunday. We’ve done this since S was a baby and it’s fun. The result is always beautiful!
Anything that can bring about relaxation – facial, massage, punch card for yoga or barre classes.
Going on a morning hike and bringing food for a brunch.
Quality time watching crappy tv or reading is always nice.
Hope this helps!
Love to all you moms out there! I hope you are celebrated in the ways you hope!